The many benefits of African Black Soap
Let’s face it, a bar of African black soap is not going to be the prettiest thing on your bathroom shelf. But, make no mistake, this soap is one of West Africa’s best kept beauty secrets!
African black soap is an all-natural soap that has ben hand-crafted in West Africa for decades. You might not be aware that there are over 100 different varieties of the soap, and the recipe for the soap varies depending on the region that it is made. The key ingredients however are a mix of plantain skin, cocoa pod powder, tropical honey, and virgin coconut oil.
Uses and benefits
It truly is a product for use from head to toe and for the whole family. African Black soap is particularly popular with the natural hair movement with many raving about it as nourishing shampoo.
How to make a DIY African black soap shampoo
This is a great natural and affordable alternative to store bought shampoo – spice things up by mixing in a few drops of your favourite essential oils, e.g. lavender, tee tree oil. We follow the following simple steps:
Directions – you will need a glass dish or a container that can hold hot water
- Break soap into smaller chunks until you have enough to fill up ½ a cup – you can also grate it
- Boil water and pour one cup over the soap the bottle while it's still hot being careful not to burn yourself
- Leave this to dissolve overnight
- Add 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil which will provide moisturizing property.
- Shake the contents and allow to sit for few hours to allow the soap dissolve.
- Use as desired.
Have you used African Black Soap and what has been your experience – tell us in the comment section below.